Local grapplers place at state finals
Posted March 5, 2013
C & G SPORTS STAFF
AUBURN HILLS — For many local wrestlers at the individual state championship March 2 at The Palace of Auburn Hills, it was a day that either provided future motivation or a culmination of a high school career.
West Bloomfield High junior Ross Bohro placed fourth at 125 in Division 1. Last season, he was eighth at 119.
“I felt like it was an open weight class, but I’m happy with the way I performed. It’s time to start training for next year to win a state title,” he said, adding that he’d maybe take a weekend off. “I only have one more year left, so I might as well make the best of it. I’ve been pushing myself for this week. Nothing matters until this tournament.”
Troy Athens junior Thomas Keyes was also looking to the future after finishing seventh at 130 in D-1.
“I have a lot of stuff to do over the summer, wrestling in tournaments, going to camps, and then try to be a state champion next year,” he said.
Madison Heights Lamphere senior Andrew Gorman came in with state title aspirations at 112 pounds in Division 2. He placed third in the event.
“I didn’t get (the state championship), but I still have four years of college,” he said. “I had a great career. I have like 183 wins and 95 career pins.”
Warren Woods Tower junior Hunter Mayer placed fifth in the D-2 130-pound class.
Mayer, who placed sixth in his weight class last year, said qualifying for the state finals takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
“You’re working hard every day for a long time,” said Mayer, “but when you get here, you know everything you did paid off.”
Utica Ford II junior 135-pounder Tevin Machart, who placed fifth in his weight class in D-1, said he came in with a goal to finish in the top four but is pleased with how he performed.
“I came out a little flat in my quarterfinal match, doing some things I maybe shouldn’t have,” said Machart, a two-time All-State honoree who placed sixth in 2012.
“I’m (going to) keep working hard in the offseason and continue to grow. I (want to) place higher next year,” he said
Macomb Dakota’s 152-pounder Jake Johnson also walked off The Palace floor with dreams of being on the top step next season. He placed fourth in D-1.
“Like everyone, there are things we can work on; there’s always something, but I’m content with where I am,” he said. “It’s a good experience. I’m glad I’ve made it the last three years. I’m glad I’ve placed the last two (fourth last season), but I’m still going for No. 1 next year.”
Here’s a look at all the C & G Newspapers’ coverage area wrestlers who placed at The Palace.
• Andrew Napieraj, Birmingham Brother Rice, 145 pounds, second place
• Shon Powell, Brother Rice, 160, seventh
• Josiah Thomas, Brother Rice, 189, eighth
• Michael Volyanyuk, Farmington Hills Harrison, 103, second
• Immanual Govantes, Farmington High, 125, seventh
• Devan Richter, Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse, 171, fifth
• Alex Bozinovski, Macomb Dakota, 145, seventh
• Jake Johnson, Dakota, 152, fourth
• Lamonte Baker, Macomb L’Anse Creuse North, 285, eighth
• Kyle Noonan, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek, 112, fifth
• Stephen Biebelhausen, Rochester Adams, 119, fourth
• Justin Kim, Rochester High, 112, fourth
• Josh Wood, Rochester, 125, eighth
• Kaelan Richards, Rochester, 140, third
• Dean Vettese, Rochester, 160, third
• Shane Shadaia, Rochester, 171, seventh
• Shwan Shadaia, Rochester, 189, first
• Thomas Keyes, Troy Athens, 130, seventh
• Tevin Machart, Utica Ford II, 135, fifth
• Joe Schudt, Warren De La Salle, 215, fifth
• LaVonte Perdue, Warren Mott, 215, eighth
• Ross Bahro, West Bloomfield High, 125, fourth
• Mitch Craig, Walled Lake Central, 160, eighth
• Grant Sharkey, Auburn Hills Avondale, 145, seventh
• Dillon Brancheau, Avondale, 171, eighth
• Andrew Gorman, Madison Heights Lamphere, 112, third
• Evan Reich, Lamphere, 135, seventh
• JacQuan Moore, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore, 125, second
• Riwan Hormiz, Warren Lincoln, 125, sixth
• Khannor Kaercher, Lincoln, 140, eighth
• Hunter Mayer, Warren Woods Tower, 130, fifth
More from C & G Newspapers
Warren / Auburn Hills
Warren / Auburn Hills
Auburn Hills / Commerce Township