Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe WoodsJune 9, 2012
Liggett baseball continues trek to Battle Creek, rolls to Division 4 quarterfinal with impressive regional title
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
GROSSE POINTE WOODS — There was a mini scare, if you can even call it that.
Then, the Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett baseball team did what its done all year.
Liggett continued its defense of the 2011 Division 4 title, rolling past Royal Oak Shrine 12-0 in a June 9 regional final at home.
“It was a great game,” coach Dan Cimini said. “Shrine’s a good baseball team, one that can hit and pitch well, and we knew that coming in. But when you hit the way we did today, there’re not many teams that can beat us.”
Senior Alex Daar got Liggett going right off the bat, singling and later scoring in the top of the first inning.
In the third, Mark Van Auk doubled and scored on a Daar double. Daar scored later in the inning and Liggett led 3-0 after three.
But the fourth was the put-away frame.
Sophomore Cole Zingas started the inning with a double and scored on a Nate Gaggin single. After Van Auk reached on a bunt single, freshman Nicholas Azar ripped a two-RBI double. He finished the day with six RBI.
By the time the inning ended, Liggett led 7-0 and was officially in cruise control.
“We were a little out of it today,” said Shrine coach Dan Noble, whose guys beat Lutheran Westland 13-3 in the semifinal and end the year 24-8. “We kicked the ball around too much, weren’t strong enough defensively, and just couldn’t get the offense going. Those aren’t good combinations in a game this big.”
While Liggett’s offense pounded the ball, adding another run in the fifth and four more in the seventh, Daar was nearly lights out from the mound.
The right-hander went the distance, allowing just three hits while striking out 10 to earn the win.
“I had to battle today,” he said. “Shrine is a team that forces you to really work, but this is a huge win for us. It’s a great day.”
Liggett, which snuck past Allen Park Inter-City Baptist 3-1 in the semifinal, moves on to a June 12 quarterfinal at Novi High against New Lothrop High at 3 p.m.
“We’re having fun right now,” Cimini said. “This is a great group of guys that’s doing some good things.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start