Macomb CountyOctober 19, 2012
L'Anse Creuse North soccer beats Romeo for district title
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
FAIR HAVEN – Macomb L’Anse Creuse North’s boys soccer team is back in the regional round for the first time since 2005 after winning its district Oct. 19 with a 4-1 victory in the final against Romeo High at Anchor Bay.
“It’s huge,” senior goalkeeper and captain Chris Nowak said about the win. “Senior year, been waiting for this for four years. It’s what we’ve been dreaming of this whole season. I’s what we’ve been working for.”
The Crusaders advance to play in a regional semifinal Tuesday Oct. 23 at Fraser High against the winner of the Berkley district.
“Hopefully, we can go further,” LCN coach Elmir Sabanovic said. “We’ve survived to Tuesday.”
LCN got things going early against Romeo, as senior Matt Gross scored in the game’s first two minutes.
But the Bulldogs, who defeated and tied the Crusaders in their Macomb Area Conference White Division matchups earlier this season, knotted things back up with a goal 10 minutes into the second half by Daniel Vega.
Yet LCN wouldn’t be denied, getting goals from junior Nathan Peters, sophomore Nathan Featherstone and Gross again in the final 20 minutes to push ahead.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start