Harrison TownshipJune 14, 2012
L’Anse Creuse baseball team’s season ends in 5-0 loss to Anchor Bay
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse baseball coach Bob Walmsley didn’t mince words about what led to his team’s 5-2 loss to Anchor Bay June 9 at L’Anse Creuse in a Division 1 regional semifinal.
“You have to hit the ball. It’s that simple,” Walmsley said of the Lancers Michigan High School Athletic Association playoff setback.
L’Anse Creuse (26-12) managed just four hits in the regional semifinal. Two of those hits came during a seventh-inning rally that saw the Lancers score their two runs and load the bases before back-to-back strikeouts ended the threat and the game.
Senior center fielder Raleigh Wilson said he liked the fight his team showed in its final at-bat. He said being down 5-0 late in a game is a tough hole for a team to dig itself out of.
“Being on this team has meant a lot to me,” senior captain and four-year varsity player Jesse McKinney said. “I’ve learned a lot about so many things. I wish it wasn’t over.”
Walmsley said he and his teammates hope to get past that point next season. He believes they have a shot because 15 of 23 players could return for 2013.
“It’s too early to tell exactly how we’ll do next year, but I think we’ll have a pretty good team,” Walmsley said. “We set a goal to win a district title, and we did that. After that, anything can happen.”
In winning a D-1 district crown, L’Anse Creuse knocked off Roseville 4-1 June 4 after inclement weather pushed the games back a couple of days.
On its way to the final, L’Anse Creuse bested St. Clair Shores Lake Shore 11-9 May 29 in a district quarterfinal before downing St. Clair Shores Lakeview 3-1 June 4 in a district semifinal.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley