St. Clair ShoresFebruary 14, 2012
Huskies, Shorians fall in team districts
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
FRASER — St. Clair Shores Lakeview’s wrestling team had its season come to an halt after falling to Roseville High in a Division 1 district semifinal Feb. 8 at Fraser High.
The Panthers went on to best the host Ramblers 52-24 to take the district crown.
“Coming in, we knew we’d face a tough road,” Lakeview coach Kenny Lowry said of his team’s 60-6 loss. “That doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed the team’s season is over, though, because I am.”
Lowry noted his squad still had individual districts — which took place Feb. 11, after press time — to look forward to. He said practice time would be spent prepping his wrestlers for those individual matches.
Roseville coach Davon Gray said his team’s conditioning played a major factor in Roseville winning its second straight district title.
“Late in the season, we did a lot of work on conditioning, so we could be ready for these matches,” Gray said. “We know if we’re in tip-top shape, we can compete with anybody.”
Lowry remains proud of his team despite its loss. He talked up the Huskies’ 5-2 record — good for third in the division — in the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division, saying his team fought valiantly all season long despite not having the roster depth he’d hoped to see.
“Our record really doesn’t show just how hard we fought,” Lowry said. “We battled all year long and fought to not give up bonus points in any matches.
“We just lacked numbers in certain spots.”
Lake Shore downed by eventual district champ Warren
Lincoln in district semifinal
St. Clair Shores Lake Shore will have to hang its hat on sharing a division title after the Shorians fell to Warren Lincoln 44-22 in a Division 2 district semifinal match Feb. 8 at Lake Shore.
The Abes went on to beat Warren Woods Tower 39-30 to take the district title.
Lincoln will take on Redford Union Feb. 15 at Lamphere in regionals with a shot at the state finals on the line.
St. Clair Shores South Lake’s Division 3 district tournament at Pontiac Notre Dame Prep had not taken place at press time.
Check www.mhsaa.com for results.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start