Birmingham, Beverly Hills, SouthfieldMarch 6, 2013
Groves and Southfield High make it out of district semifinals
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
BEVERLY HILLS — With the final seconds ticking off the clock, Birmingham Groves junior Eddie Reese found senior teammate Andrew Forbes in the corner for a wide-open 3-pointer.
Forbes made good on the shot, giving the Falcons the 59-56 victory against Southfield-Lathrup in a Class A district semifinal March 6 at Groves.
"Eddie made a perfect pass," Forbes said. "I shot it with confidence and knew it was going straight in."
The win moves Groves to 15-6 overall.
Before the late-game heroics, the Falcons led by as many as 19 points before Lathrup battled back, mostly due to senior Jonathan Williams. He finished with 34 points.
"He's fantastic, the best player we've played all season," Groves coach Scott Sheckell said.
Lathrup finishes the year 8-14 overall.
"We battled back, but we came out flat. (Groves) was ready to play," Lathrup coach Desmond Denham said.
In the other semifinal, Southfield High defeated Oak Park High 66-59, moving the Blue Jays to 17-4 overall.
"We knew it was a rivalry game and would be a good game," Southfield coach Gary Teasley said. "I think our consistency helped us out tonight."
Southfield had four players in double figures.
Up next, the Blue Jays and Groves battle for a district crown at 7 p.m. March 8 at Groves.
The Falcons last won one in 2005. Southfield has won three straight.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Tough slate readies Lutheran North Golf team for playoffs - Macomb Township
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start