Published December 18, 2013
Grosse Pointe South defeats Grosse Pointe North at Comerica Park
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Grosse Pointe South earned a hard-fought 5-4 victory against Grosse Pointe North on Wednesday in a game played at Comerica Park in preparation for Hockeytown Winter Festival.
South's Ellie Flom netted the game-winning goal with about two minutes remaining in the contest after North rallied from a two-goal deficit in the third period to tie the game at four.
"We've been really working on getting pucks to the net and driving to the net for rebounds. Two of our goals were off rebounds, and Ellie (Flom) just moved her feet, and got good control of the puck and took a shot to put it away," South coach Joe Provenzano said.
Karina Lucchese and Lindsay Gallagher scored the two goals for North during its comeback. Also scoring for North were Elizabeth Gallagher and Caroline Bock.
"It was a great experience for the girls. It was great that it was North and South," North coach Joe Lucchese said. "About half of the girls on both of these teams have played together since they were 5 or 6, so to be involved in the Winter Classic was a wonderful experience."
South's Tenley Shield scored twice and had an assist to pace the Blue Devils. Gennie Martin and Sydney Stann also scored for South.
"It was absolutely unbelieveable. The girls were excited just to be a part of coming down here with the Winter Classic, and for the girls to play as hard and play a great team in North was just an awesome experience," Provenzano said.
North dropped to 3-5 on the season while South improved to 7-2.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams