Grosse Pointe WoodsAugust 30, 2012
Grosse Pointe North volleyball ready to roll
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Grosse Pointe North’s volleyball team has set its sights high this year as the season gets under way.
The Norsemen talked about their goals and what they need to work on to achieve them at the Aug. 17 Macomb Area Conference Kickoff tournament at the Blue Water Sports Center in Warren.
“I think they’re excited to play,” North coach Kim Lockhart said. “We’ve been working hard in the preseason, so hopefully, it’ll pay off for us.”
The Norsemen said they want to succeed in the league during the regular season and then see that success carry over into the postseason.
“We want to compete in the MAC Red,” senior outside hitter Breann Reveley said. “Last year we started off strong, and then we kind of hit a low point. But this year we want to start strong and finish strong, and then see where the playoffs take us.”
Lockhart said the Norsemen will be led by their offense.
“We’re pretty strong attacking,” she said. “We have a lot of really good, strong hitters.”
Reveley is one of those players, and Lockhart also highlighted the play of senior outside hitter Julia Guest, senior libero Kim Cusmano and sophomore middle Christa Raicevich.
On the flip side, North knows it needs to work on its serve-receive and defense.
Catch the Norsemen in MAC Red Division action at 6:30 p.m. Sept 13 at home against Fraser High.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start