Published August 7, 2013
Greater Rochester Open Tennis Tournament concludes
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
The 37th annual Greater Rochester Open tennis tournament took place July 24-31.
The year, 129 players, including 25 past winners, competed in various flights.
The highlight included a handful of multiple champions.
In the junior events, Nick Klak (Rochester) and Nicholas Ang (Rochester) each won two events. Klak defended his title in the U14 singles bracket and won the U14 doubles championship.
Ang defended his U18 doubles crown and won the U18 singles flight.
In the adult division, Pat Hayner (Troy) won his 13th and 14th titles, moving into first place for most all-time championships in the event. This season, he took the men’s singles title and the U35 singles title.
His brother, Lew Hayner (Troy), won the U50 singles title and also the senior men’s doubles championship.
Other champions included Teddie Turner (Rochester), Kaitlyn Hermann (Macomb Township), Sara Ang (Rochester), Sohum Acharya (Rochester), Cory Zavance (Shelby Township), Nathan Reichenbach (Troy), Torree Rocco (Rochester), Sridhar Ravikoti (Rochester), Sonia Sheppard (Birmingham), Mark Stabley (Shelby Township), David Stabley (Shelby Township, Kevin Friesen (Troy) and Michelle Kubeshesky (Rochester).
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Cousino lacrosse having a breakout season - Warren
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals