St. Clair ShoresMarch 5, 2013
GP South downs Warren Cousino in girls regional playoff tilt
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES — What was a two-point game at halftime turned into a one-sided affair as the Grosse Pointe South girls basketball team outscored Warren Cousino 29-9 in the second half of their \ Michigan High School Athletic Association Class A regional semifinal in taking the matchup 56-34.
The game took place March 5 at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore.
South, which advanced to the Class A state finals last year, moves on to face Macomb Dakota in a regional final set for March 7 at Lake Shore.
"I thought (Cousino) outplayed us in the first half. I was disappointed at halftime, but we made some adjustments," said Blue Devils coach Kevin Richards, whose team outscored the Patriots 18-3 in the third quarter to take a 45-28 lead into the final frame.
"But we survived, and we move on."
South Sophomore guard Cierra Rice scored eight of her game- and career-high 26 points in the third quarter. All of the Blue Devils' (22-1) field goals in the third were scored in the paint. A tight, pressing South defense forced five turnovers in the third.
The 56 points allowed by Cousino was about 16 more than its season average of 40.1.
"I'll have six months to think about that, but the third quarter is what did it," said Cousino coach Mike Lee, who guided the Patriots to a 17-7 finish that saw Cousino capture Macomb Area Conference White Division and Class A district titles.
"They didn't do anything differently defensively. We just didn't execute what we talked about at halftime."
The first half featured a back-and-forth affair that saw nine lead changes. Neither team held more than a four-point lead before halftime. Free throws were key for South in the second quarter, as 10 of the Blue Devils' 14 points came via free throw.
For the game, South attempted 18 free throws to Cousino's eight.
"We survived, but we know we need to play better in order to keep winning," Richards said. "All of the girls in that locker room were on the team last year (that advanced to the state title game). They know what they need to do."
Blue Devils senior forward Claire DeBoer chipped in with 11 points.
Cousino junior guard Natasha Baetiong led the Patriots with 10 points, while senior forward Bethany McCord chipped in with nine for the Patriots.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start