Madison HeightsMarch 15, 2013
Foley exits tourney as district champs with bright future
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
Madison Heights Bishop Foley’s girls basketball team closed out its season with a 64-47 loss to Riverview Gabriel Richard in a Class C regional final March 7.
Earlier in the tournament, the Ventures defeated Madison Heights Madison 53-39 in a regional semifinal matchup.
In advancing to regionals, the Ventures laid claim to a Class C district title with a 49-29 victory against Auburn Hills Oakland Christian March 1.
As much as he may have wanted his team’s season to continue, coach Dave Joseph was already able to appreciate what Foley accomplished.
“We were 3-5 in our league — fourth place,” he said. “But it came tournament time, and we stepped it up at the right time. A district title and a Sweet 16 appearance — you gotta be happy with that.”
Emma Wonsil, Cyndi Claucherty, Lauren Cross and Abigail Lama were Foley’s senior representatives, and Joseph acknowledged the role they played to help get the Ventures as far as they went.
“It’s about the seniors for this tournament run,” he said. “Start of districts, I asked them to lead, and they did everything I asked them to do. Very proud of (them).”
Following the game, Joseph gave some thought as to the potential of Foley’s program moving forward.
“We have nine people that are going to be returning from this experience next year,” he said. “I told them to remember this day, (so) that when we get back to this game, we’re on the right side of the scoreboard.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start