FerndaleMarch 5, 2013
Ferndale girls continue to roll, beat University Prep to earn shot at Country Day
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
WEST BLOOMFIELD — He’d love to say he has some rare formula, or a secret weapon to use as the reason his team continues to play at such a high level.
But as Eric Lloyd spoke moments after his squad’s most recent victory, the Ferndale High’s girls basketball coach went back to the same message he’s preached all season.
“We played good, fundamental basketball,” he said with a smile following a 61-36 victory against Detroit University Prep in a Class B regional semifinal Tuesday night at West Bloomfield High. “It’s what we’ve done all year, and the girls did that here. It was a good win for us, one we wanted.”
The Eagles (21-3) led just 10-9 after the first quarter, but were seemingly in control of the game from start to finish. The lead swelled to 26-19 by halftime, and the exclamation point came with a 20-8 advantage in the final quarter.
“They played as a team,” Lloyd added. “They played as a unit, and that’s what I’m most happy about.”
Lloyd, in his first year with the Eagles, got his first coaching victory of the season with a 68-44 victory against Prep on Dec. 7.
“That was to our advantage, but when you get to the regional round, every team you play is better,” he added. Micaela Ellis led Ferndale with a game-high 22 points. Amber Williams added 16.
The Eagles, in the regional finals for the first time since the late 1990s, will face Beverly Hills Country Day at 6 p.m. March 7.
Country Day beat Chandler Park Academy 50-43 in overtime.
“We’re going to be ready to battle,” Lloyd said. “We can’t look past anyone, but if we play the type of game we’re capable of, we’ll have a chance.”
Amani Hutson led University Prep (11-12) with 20 points.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start