Macomb TownshipJune 9, 2012
De La Salle baseball team routs Anchor Bay, moves on to state quarters
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MACOMB TOWNSHIP - With his team down 2-1 to Anchor Bay heading into the top of the fifth inning of a Division 1 regional final, Warren De La Salle baseball coach Matt Cook only wanted his team to tie the game going into the bottom of the fifth.
The Pilots (18-21-1) did more than tie the Michigan High School Athletic Association baseball playoff game, De La Salle sent 20 batters to the plate to the tune of 14 runs, as the Pilots downed the Tars (24-12), 15-3 in five innings June 9 at Macomb L'Anse Creuse North.
"I definitely didn't think we'd put up (14 runs), said Cook, who leads De La Salle to its first trip to the MHSAA baseball state quarterfinals since 2009 - when the Pilots last won a state title.
"What a game," Cook added.
De La Salle advances to the state quarterfinals where the Pilots face Hartland High at 4 p.m. June 12 at Madison Heights Bishop Foley. The winner of that match up heads to Battle Creek and will be two games away from a state championship.
"The last two years we lost in the regional finals," Cook said. "So our seniors this year made it a goal to try to get back to the state quarters and that's what we've done. We're not done yet, though."
In that fifth inning, seven De La Salle batters recorded RBI. The inning was punctuated by sophomore infielder Dominic DiPuma's two-out grand slam that gave the Pilots a 15-2 lead.
Sophomore outfielder Sam Badalamenti recored three hits in De La Salle's big fifth inning and sophomore Alex Fultz gave the Pilots the lead for good at 4-2 with an RBI single to right field that plated two runs.
De La Salle senior pitcher Bill Radatz got the complete game victory in five innings of work.
To advance to the regional final, the Pilots bested Utica Ford II 12-10 in eight innings in a regional semifinal June 9.
Anchor Bay downed Harrison Township L'Anse Creuse North 5-2 in the other regional semi.
For more information on the state baseball playoffs, check www.mhsaa.com.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start