WarrenJune 15, 2012
De La Salle baseball punches ticket to state final with 3-2 win against Howell
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Matt Cook and his Warren De La Salle baseball team were never supposed to be here to begin with.
So, what’s one more day?
The Pilots continued their magical playoff run in the Division 1 semifinals June 15, getting a timely home run from Dominic DiPuma and a dominant pitching performance from Kevin Carroll in a 3-2 win against Howell High.
“We’re having a blast right now,” Cook said moments after the win. His team was 2-14 at one point this season but will now play for a Division 1 state championship at 12:30 p.m. June 16 at C.O. Brown Stadium against Hudsonville High or Saline High. “Nobody expected us to be here, but here we are.”
The Pilots broke a scoreless tie in the top of the fourth inning when senior Reed Carnagie led off with a double, advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt and then scored on a Joe Loria single.
Carroll led off the fifth inning with a single, and his courtesy runner, Matt Beam, scored moments later when Carnagie ripped a double to right-center.
A throwing error in the bottom of the fifth gave way to Howell’s first run of the game, but in the top of the sixth, DiPuma launched a towering shot over the left-field fence.
Howell (30-11) scored once more in the sixth, but was shut down in order by Carroll in the seventh inning.
The senior right-hander allowed just four hits and struck out six while improving to 7-2 this season from the mound.
“Kevin is our workhorse,” Cook said. “He’s our No. 1, our go-to guy, and today he went out and did what a good senior does in games like this.”
As for starting the season with just two wins and now being one victory shy of another state title?
“You know, we believe in playing baseball a certain way, and these guys never let being 2-14 affect them,” Cook said. “They stuck with it and believed things would turn around.”
According to MHSAA Communications Director John Johnson, De La Salle, now 20-22-1, would be the first sub-.500 baseball team to win a state title. They last won a state baseball title in 2009.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start