WarrenNovember 14, 2012
De La Salle’s Davey earns All-State honors in cross country
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — Warren De La Salle sophomore Mickey Davey feels good about his performance at the 2012 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 cross country state finals meet, but he said he knows he could have done better.
Davey, in his second year with the Pilots’ cross country team, finished 20th out of 251 prep runners at the state meet to earn All-State honors. The De La Salle sophomore finished the 5,000-meter race in 15 minutes, 41.6 seconds.
The state meet took place Nov. 3 at Michigan International Speedway. The top 30 individual runners in Division 1-4 earned All-State honors.
“I was a little disappointed because I got passed by some people near the end,” said Davey, a Troy resident. “I could have done better.”
Davey was the only De La Salle runner to qualify for the state meet. He said he wants to improve on this year’s finish and has set a goal of becoming a state champion.
Davey said he plans on including more strength training into his workout regimen as a way to increase his speed on the trail. He said he’d focus on exercises that give the feeling of running with tired legs.
“I just want to keep getting better,” said Davey, who finished second in a D-1 regional meet, which took place Oct. 26 at Metro Beach Metropark.
Focus is key to improving, Davey said. His routine going into a meet consists of ensuring he stays hydrated.
Cross country can be classified as an individualistic sport, where runners concentrate on themselves more so than the opposition. Davey, however, does read up on the competition via various websites as much as possible leading up to a race.
“I like to check (Athletic.net) to get an idea of when a guy finishes — that’s part of how I prepare. I check that site almost religiously,” Davey said. “Then I say a nice prayer, and I’m ready to go.”
Davey does care about representing his school. Although he didn’t win the D-1 state meet, the De La Salle sophomore is proud of what he accomplished.
“I just want to represent the school and my family well,” Davey said. “I want people to know about the De La Salle (cross country) program and to see we have a good team.”
Regina cross country team places ninth at state meet
The Warren Regina cross country team finished ninth out of 27 teams at the MHSAA D-2 state meet, held Nov. 3 at Michigan International Speedway.
The Saddlelites finished with a score of 277.
The Regina team is comprised of juniors Cassie Bloch, Christina Ridella, Elizabeth Bloch and Jenny Ponkowski, along with senior Samantha West, sophomore Stephanie Latos and freshman Teresa Diehl.
The Saddlelites qualified for the state finals by winning a D-2 regional, held Oct. 27 at Goodells Park in Goodells, Mich.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start