Bloomfield HillsMarch 13, 2013
Cranbrook girls hockey takes state title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
The girls hockey team from Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood captured a Division 1 state title in dramatic fashion — a 3-2 overtime victory against Grosse Pointe South March 9.
Cranbrook’s Hana DeClerck had the game-winning goal with 5:40 remaining in overtime.
The Cranes had a 2-1 lead late in the third period until South’s Meghan Polack scored with 3:47 remaining.
According to Cranbrook’s Tara Chelios, despite the late game-tying goal, she still had confidence her team would leave the ice as state champs.
“We felt confident,” she said. “We wanted it. We didn’t let up until we got it.”
Cranbrook’s Keiko DeClerck got the scoring started with a goal 3:19 into the first period. Later in the period, South’s Tenley Shield scored to even the score at one.
Keiko DeClerck was also responsible for Crabrook’s second goal of the game, which came early in the second period.
The state-title game was the third game of the season between Cranbrook and South, with the teams splitting their first two meetings.
For more on Cranbrook’s season, see next week’s edition of the Eagle.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start