Oakland CountyJanuary 25, 2013
County champions decided
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
Oakland County boys and girls bowling teams took to the lanes Jan. 19-20.
The boys met at Cherry Hill Lanes North in Clarkston, where Troy High emerged as the county champions.
The Colts beat Walled Lake Central 381-354 in the championship match.
In the semifinals, Troy beat Ortonville Brandon 395-356; Central defeated Berkley High 337-310.
“We got the strike and the spare when we really needed them,” Troy coach Bob St. Onge said. “We’d be down, then come back. Myself, I just tried to keep the kids focused. They threw the ball well that day.”
Berkley went on to beat Brandon for third place 400-284.
The tournament featured 28 teams and started with a qualifying round for the top 16 teams to advance to the championship bracket.
In the qualifying round, Novi Detroit Catholic Central came out as the No. 1 seed with a total of 3,905. Troy was second with 3,618.
Clarkston High (3,618), Waterford Kettering (3,573), Central (3,566), Brandon (3,500), Oxford High (3,497), Berkley High (3,496), North Farmington (3,417), Walled Lake Northern (3,417), Livonia Clarenceville (3,381), South Lyon East (3,342), Ferndale High (3,321), Waterford Mott (3,287), South Lyon High (3,240) and Farmington-Harrison Unified (3,225) rounded out the top 16.
Royal Oak High (3,219), Lake Orion High (3,203), Birmingham Brother Rice (3,178), Holly High (3,161), Novi High (3,077), Troy Athens (3,066), Milford High (3,055), White Lake Lakeland (3,036), Hazel Park High (2,958), Walled Lake Western (2,877), Pontiac Notre Dame Prep (2,827) and Madison Heights Bishop Foley (2,760) made up the rest of the field.
Individually, Catholic Central’s Maclain Canfield was tops, finishing with a series-high 685. Ferndale High’s Nick Melton rolled a 648 for second, and Catholic Central’s Joe Alvord was third with 640.
Milford’s Ryan Garvey (638), Waterford Mott’s Riley McNabb (629), Brandon’s Jason Quintanilla (327), Oxford’s Sean McKinney (626), Catholic Central’s Joey Kryzywonos (623), North Farmington’s Aaron Radner (622) and Troy High’s Tyler Giddey (621) rounded out the top 10.
In the girls tourney, held Jan. 20 at Thunderbird Lanes in Troy, Holly High bowled over the 27-team field for the title, defeating White Lake Lakeland 321-302 in the final.
In the semis, Holly beat Waterford Mott 306-275, while Lakeland outdueled Walled Lake Central 330-303.
Central beat Mott for third place 372-311.
In the qualifying round, Mott was the No. 1 seed, finishing with 3,364; Central was No. 2 with 3,330. Lake Orion High was third with (3,243).
Walled Lake Western (3,201), South Lyon (3,150), Lakeland (3,123), Clarkston (3,093), Farmington-Harrison Unified (3,016), Oxford (2,997), Farmington Hills Mercy (2,957), Milford (2,902), Holly (2,892), North Farmington (2,864), Waterford Kettering (2,852), Ferndale (2,842) and Royal Oak (2,683) also advanced to the championship bracket.
Brandon (2,646), Novi (2,622), Walled Lake Northern (2,600), Bloomfield Hills Marian (2,542), Hazel Park (2,541), South Lyon East (2,277), Berkley (2,273), Pontiac Notre Dame Prep (2,236), Bishop Foley (2,216), Troy (1,760) and Clarenceville (1,667) made up the rest of the field.
Mercy’s Maria Walawender won the individual title with a high series of 673.
Mott’s Talla Harden was second with 642, and Clarkston’s Chelsea Turk with third with 624.
Milford’s Theresa Bashara (598), Brandon’s Mallory Huckabone (598), South Lyon’s Morgan Hatton (595), Walled Lake Western’s Madalyn Klein (591), Waterford Mott’s Marissa Land (582), Lakeland’s Kourtney Tschirhart (580) and Lake Orion’s Courtney LeBlanc (578) round out the top 10.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals