FraserFebruary 8, 2012
Roseville wrestling downs Fraser for second straight district title
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
FRASER — In his second year leading the Roseville High wrestling program, coach Davon Gray brought the school its second straight district title after the Panthers bested Fraser High 52-24 in a Division 1 district final Feb. 8 at Fraser High.
Roseville recorded major decisions — pins worth six points each — in six of the 14 bouts, while 12 of the 24 points the Ramblers recorded came via void in two of the upper weight classes.
"We came in prepared and with the mindset that we wanted our season to continue," said Gray, who won state titles in 1993 and 1994 as a member of the Panthers. "We had a lot of guys who knew they'd have to step up, and that's what they did."
In its district semifinal Roseville, dispatched St. Clair Shores Lakeview 60-6. Fraser, on its way to the district final, knocked off East Detroit 48-16 to set up the match with the Panthers.
"We faced East Detroit about a week ago and were able to beat them, so we knew what we'd get if we faced them," Gray said. "We weren't sure what to expect with Fraser, so I'm glad we gave the effort we did and came out on top how we did."
Roseville moves on to face the winner of the Birmingham Groves district tournament Feb. 15 at Warren Cousino High. No time has been scheduled for the matchup. Check www.mhsaa.com closer to the match for more information.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start