Grosse Pointe Woods, Rochester, Rochester Hills
Published February 6, 2014
Bowery's three goals help Rochester United past Liggett 4-2 at MIHL Showcase
By Mike Moore email@example.com Follow Mike on Twitter.
TRENTON — With the 2014 MIHL Prep Showcase just getting going, Marshall Bowery did his best to ignite some fireworks for the Rochester United hockey team.
In the end, it proved to be plenty enough.
Bowery scored the first three goals of Thursday night’s game against Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett and the United squad held on for a 4-2 victory at the Kennedy Recreation Center in Trenton.
“This was a real good win for our team,” United coach Craig Staskowski said afterwards. “Liggett is one of the best teams in Division 3, so for our guys to come out here and get a win was pretty cool.”
Bowery gave Rochester a 1-0 lead with 8:48 into in the first period.
He made it 2-0 early in the second, and then completed the natural hat trick four minutes later, giving Rochester a 3-0 advantage.
“That was huge,” Staskowski said. “That gives you a little cushion. Liggett fought back, getting those two goals, but we were still in good shape.”
Liggett’s William Yates scored 10:40 into the second to make it 3-1, and then Alexander Minanov made it 3-2 at the 7:16 mark of the third period.
Max Harper added an empty net goal with 45 seconds remaining in the game to complete the scoring.
“I like the way we were able to hang on,” Staskowski said. “This is two games in a row now where we’ve had a one-goal lead and then added the empty net.”
Rochester improves to 15-2-3 on the season and will play again at the Showcase at 4:20 p.m. Friday afternoon against the University of Detroit Jesuit.
Liggett, now 15-3-1, takes on Houghton High at 8:40 p.m. Saturday night.
Other local scores from the Trenton
Warren De La Salle 7 – Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day 6
Dearborn Divine Child 8 – Macomb Dakota 0
Grosse Pointe South 5 – Plymouth High 4
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals