St. Clair Shores
Published June 6, 2013
Bloomfield Hills Marian soccer team wins another regional title
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
ST. CLAIR SHORES — Bloomfield Hills Marian sophomore forward Kelly Sweeney netted three goals to help the Mustangs down Warren Regina 4-0 in a 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 regional final played June 6 at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore.
With the win, Marian (16-2-4) continues its march for a second straight D-2 title and fourth crown in five years (2012, 2010, 2009). The Mustangs also won state titles in 2003 and 2004.
"We're doing this for each other," Sweeney said. "We know that if we play our game, we can win (another state championship).
The Mustangs advance to play the winner of a Fenton/Haslett matchup in a D-2 state semifinal set for 6 p.m. June 12 at Fenton High School.
Regina, which won its third district title in four years, ends the season at 12-10-2.
The contest was never in doubt, as the Mustangs netted two goals within the first 15 minutes of the game.
Sweeney scored the game's first goal at 26:24 left in the first half. Mustangs sophomore forward Brittany Gray netted a goal about two minutes later to make it 2-0. Sweeney scored again with 1:14 left in the first half to give the Mustangs a 3-0 lead going into the lockerroom. Sweeney added another score 1:15 into the second half to make it 4-0.
"We knew they were a momentum team, and we knew it'd be difficult to slow them down if they got going, and that's what happened," Regina coach Ryan Elchuk said.
Marian coach Barry Brodski said he thought his team would be able to take advantage of what he thought might be a fatigued Regina team after the Saddlelites needed overtime to outlast Livonia Ladywood 1-0 in a regional semifinal played June 4 at Lake Shore.
Elchuk said he told his players that they can't look in the rearview mirror. He added the overtime game may have taken something out of his squad.
"We were just missing something tonight."
Marian knocked off Trenton 3-0 in a regional semi played June 4 at Lake Shore.
The Mustangs have outscored five opponents 19-2 so far this postseason.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams