Berkley, FerndaleMarch 6, 2012
Berkley-Ferndale Unified hockey team wraps up memorable season
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
The hard reality set in quickly, and then was repeated often.
Jeff Fleming had no problem admitting that.
In the end, his team was outdone by one that was simply better.
He was quick to admit that, too.
Though his Berkley-Ferndale Unified hockey team had fallen 8-0 to Orchard Lake St. Mary’s March 3 in a Division 1 regional final, he recalled the season that was and was filled with pride.
“This was a fantastic season,” he said. “I’m so proud of the seniors and the guys who have set the bar so high here. They’ve left a great example for the future kids in this program.”
Berkley closed out the regular season with a 20-2-2 overall record and won the Oakland Activities Association White Division with a 10-0-0 mark.
After wins against Bloomfield Hills United and Troy High in the playoffs, the 22-3-2 final record marked the best in Unified program history.
“We’d never won a pre-regional game before this year.” Fleming said with a laugh. “For this group to go undefeated in away games, to win the league, to win some of the tournaments we played in, it all added up to a pretty special season. These kids really did some great things.”
Naturally, Fleming would have preferred a different exit from the postseason.
St. Mary’s scored 25 seconds into the regional final and led 2-0 before many in the crowd had a chance to find their seat.
“They scored right away, and it seemed to set us back,” Fleming said.
Still, an 8-0 loss or a 1-0 triple-overtime setback, nothing was going to change how the coach saw his guys and what they did.
“The effort was awesome all season,” Fleming added. “We fought to the end. That’s all I can ask.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start