Mount Clemens, Warren
Published January 14, 2014
Bathers get the better of Abes in Gold showdown
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
WARREN — In a battle of teams looking to pick up their first win inside the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division, the Mount Clemens girls basketball team downed Warren Lincoln 33-17 in a matchup played Jan. 14 at Lincoln.
The Bathers, 4-3 overall, 1-2 MAC Gold, led from start to finish and jumped out to a 10-1 lead going into the second quarter. The Abes (0-7, 0-3 MAC Gold) made a bit of a run in the second stanza to cut the lead to six at 15-9 at halftime. Lincoln got no closer than four the rest of the way.
Mount Clemens held Lincoln to eight second half points.
"Any time you can get a win, especially a win in your division, is a good time," Bathers coach Jason Monk said. "We've got a lot of young players playing big minutes, so this is a good win for their confidence."
Mount Clemens overcame a number of miscues to pick up the win. The Bathers turned the ball over 15 times — 12 in the final three quarters. Lincoln committed 20 turnovers.
"That's something we're working on," said Monk, whose team allowed 18.5 points less than its regular-season average of 35.5. "We just have to make better decisions with the ball."
Freshman guard Rosalyn Williams led Mount Clemens with 18 points.
Junior guard Bianca Mercado netted eight points for Lincoln.
The Bathers next hit the court for a matchup against Marysville, set for 5:30 p.m. Jan. 16 at Marysville.
The Abes next matchup is also a road game at Marysville, slated for 7 p.m. Jan. 17 at Marysville.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals