Woman killed in crash at 11 Mile and Bunert
December 4, 2012
An Eastpointe woman was killed and two other people suffered injuries in a midday crash at 11 Mile and Bunert Dec. 4.
According to Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green, police and fire rescue personnel were dispatched to the scene of a two-car crash at the intersection on the eastbound I-696 service drive at 11:44 a.m.
“There are witnesses that confirm that a black Ford Focus, northbound on Bunert, driven by a 60-year-old female with a passenger we believe was her 25-year-old son — they run a red light,” Green said. “While in the intersection, a commercial van with the right-of-way through a green light strikes the Focus broadside. The female driver is deceased.”
Firefighters extricated the woman from the Focus through the car’s roof and transported her to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Green said the passenger of the Focus, believed to be the woman’s son, was alert and able to speak at the scene. He was taken to a different hospital where he was treated for injuries not considered to be life-threatening.
The driver of the van, a resident of Ann Arbor, suffered only a minor knee injury and declined medical treatment. Green said he tested negative for alcohol at the scene and was not ticketed as a result of the crash.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville