An Eastpointe woman was killed and two other people suffered injuries in a midday crash at 11 Mile and Bunert Dec. 4.
According to Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green, police and fire rescue personnel were dispatched to the scene of a two-car crash at the intersection on the eastbound I-696 service drive at 11:44 a.m.
“There are witnesses that confirm that a black Ford Focus, northbound on Bunert, driven by a 60-year-old female with a passenger we believe was her 25-year-old son — they run a red light,” Green said. “While in the intersection, a commercial van with the right-of-way through a green light strikes the Focus broadside. The female driver is deceased.”
Firefighters extricated the woman from the Focus through the car’s roof and transported her to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Green said the passenger of the Focus, believed to be the woman’s son, was alert and able to speak at the scene. He was taken to a different hospital where he was treated for injuries not considered to be life-threatening.
The driver of the van, a resident of Ann Arbor, suffered only a minor knee injury and declined medical treatment. Green said he tested negative for alcohol at the scene and was not ticketed as a result of the crash.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township