WarrenJanuary 16, 2013
Warren senior dies in house fire
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — An 80-year-old man died at the hospital Jan. 15 after Warren firefighters pulled him from the bed of his smoke-filled home near 13 Mile and Dequindre.
Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said the man, whose name was withheld pending notification of family members, was alive and responsive after firefighters arrived and entered the home at 4:19 p.m.
Firefighters reportedly found the man asleep or overcome by smoke on a bed in the single-family home.
“The fire originated in the living room area, in a chair, and overcame the male,” McAdams said.
Warren Fire Department paramedics reportedly began resuscitation efforts at the scene and continued working to save the man’s life as he was transported to Royal Oak’s William Beaumont Hospital. The man was alive when he reached the hospital, but reportedly passed away within two hours.
“The fire was extinguished in 10 minutes. The victim wasn’t burned at all. We fear he was overcome with smoke inhalation. However, an autopsy will confirm that,” McAdams said.
The commissioner said it appeared that the fire originated in the chair but that investigators were not immediately sure how it started.
The cause was still listed as undetermined Jan. 16.
McAdams said the fatality was the first fire-related death in Warren since 2010.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi