Published May 20, 2013
Warren accidents leave one dead, one critically injured
By Brian Louwers email@example.com
WARREN — Police said an elderly driver died and a pedestrian remained in critical condition May 20 after separate weekend crashes.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said police and paramedics were called to the scene of a two-car collision at 12 Mile and Milton at 2:05 p.m. May 18 where a 78-year-old Rochester Hills woman was killed.
“A 16-year-old female Warren resident was driving a 2012 Malibu north on Milton at 12 Mile when she was struck by a 2004 Buick driven by a 78-year-old Rochester Hills female,” Mills said. “(There were) minor injuries on the driver and the passenger in the Malibu, and the driver of the Buick was deceased at the scene.”
Mills said it appeared that the Buick was traveling west along 12 Mile when it struck the Malibu broadside as it turned from northbound Milton onto westbound 12 Mile through a green light.
Police said there were no independent witnesses to the crash but that the case was under investigation to ensure the traffic light at the intersection was functioning properly. Mills said the light appeared to be in working order.
On May 19, first responders were called to the driveway of a business on Groesbeck south of Toepfer after a car reportedly left the roadway, struck a building and then hit a pedestrian.
‘The vehicle was southbound on Groesbeck from Toepfer. A silver vehicle veered off the road and struck 21550 Groesbeck and continued southbound,” Mills said. “The victim was struck from behind while she was walking down the sidewalk.”
The driver, later identified as a 30-year-old New Baltimore woman, reportedly left the scene on foot with her boyfriend but they were apprehended by patrol officers near Sidonie and Waltham as they attempted to get into a cab called to a vacant home.
Police suspected the woman was under the influence of prescription drugs. The male passenger, from Detroit, could face charges for helping the driver flee the scene of the accident.
The 46-year-old Warren woman struck by the vehicle remained in critical condition May 20.
Anyone with information about the accidents can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say
- Henry, longtime police K-9, to retire April 17
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan
- NAMM award is sweet music to UCS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter
- Jazz pros, students to celebrate music of past and present at April 30 concert