BEVERLY HILLS — Less than two years after the departure of Borders Books from the shopping plaza at 13 Mile and Southfield Road, a new one-stop shop for books, music and technology is calling Beverly Hills home.
Books-A-Million Inc. opened its doors at The Corners Shopping Center April 11 and celebrated its grand opening of the 14,484-square-foot location April 20.
The Beverly Hills store is the fourth Books-A-Million to open in Michigan, and its specialized Kids-A-Million section is the just the second to open in the country. The company currently operates more than 250 stores in 31 states.
Charles Laurencelle, president of Laurencelle Properties, said in a statement that he is excited to have a bookstore back in Beverly Hills, and he noted that the interior of the store is brand-new and “looks fantastic.”
“This gives our community an opportunity to go back into their local bookstore and touch, feel and browse all kinds of reading materials on a national scale,” he said.
Ann Arbor-based Borders announced it was going out of business in July 2011 following the filing of Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier that year. The Beverly Hills location, which opened in 1985 as the second in the nationwide chain, closed its doors Sept. 10, 2011.
Village Manager Chris Wilson said his administration looks forward to working with Books-A-Million.
“I think the store will be as successful as its predecessor was, and I think we’ll have a long relationship with them,” he said.
Store manager Jessica Roberts said business has been good so far.
“We’ve had a lot of positive responses coming back,” she said.
“So far, the Kids-A-Million area and our bargain section have been the most popular.”
Council President Pro Tem Walter Briggs, who attended the store’s ribbon-cutting, said he is “thrilled” to welcome Books-A-Million as the latest tenant in The Corners.
“We were really disappointed when Borders left, and as far as this bookstore goes, it is very exciting and a wonderful addition to our community,” he said.
Books-A-Million is located at 31150 Southfield Road in Beverly Hills, in The Corners Shopping Center. For more information, call the store at (248) 723-7106 or visit www.booksamillion.com.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township