A Troy man who volunteered at a local church preschool faces up to 25 years in prison after he was convicted of two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct.
The man reportedly volunteered at a preschool at St. Augustine Lutheran Church on Livernois in Troy.
A jury found James Patrick O’Connell, 60, guilty April 14. Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Wendy Potts will sentence him May 7. The charges included sexual touching, but not penetration.
O’Connell’s attorney, Shannon Marie Smith, could not be reached for comment at press time.
O’Connell’s bond had been set at $500,000 and was revoked. He was ordered to provide DNA and was remanded to jail following the verdict.
Troy police received a report of a possible sexual assault at the preschool last May. According to church officials, the first reported assault occurred at an unspecified time a few years ago.
“The jury reached a just verdict,” said Paul Walton, chief assistant prosecutor for Oakland County. “Although, you can never restore or give back the innocence of the child or take back the trauma from the family.”
Church officials said they removed O’Connell from the preschool immediately after Troy police contacted them. Letters were sent to parents whose children had attended the preschool over the last three years.
“We are praying for all involved,” said Rev. Paul Monson, pastor at St. Augustine.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township