Troy man convicted of criminal sexual conduct
By Terry Oparka
April 23, 2014
A Troy man who volunteered at a local church preschool faces up to 25 years in prison after he was convicted of two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct.
The man reportedly volunteered at a preschool at St. Augustine Lutheran Church on Livernois in Troy.
A jury found James Patrick O’Connell, 60, guilty April 14. Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Wendy Potts will sentence him May 7. The charges included sexual touching, but not penetration.
O’Connell’s attorney, Shannon Marie Smith, could not be reached for comment at press time.
O’Connell’s bond had been set at $500,000 and was revoked. He was ordered to provide DNA and was remanded to jail following the verdict.
Troy police received a report of a possible sexual assault at the preschool last May. According to church officials, the first reported assault occurred at an unspecified time a few years ago.
“The jury reached a just verdict,” said Paul Walton, chief assistant prosecutor for Oakland County. “Although, you can never restore or give back the innocence of the child or take back the trauma from the family.”
Church officials said they removed O’Connell from the preschool immediately after Troy police contacted them. Letters were sent to parents whose children had attended the preschool over the last three years.
“We are praying for all involved,” said Rev. Paul Monson, pastor at St. Augustine.
About the author
Staff Writer Terry Oparka covers Troy and the Troy School District for the Troy Times. Oparka has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2000 and attended Oakland University and Macomb Community College. Oparka has won an award from the Michigan Press Association and three awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit Chapter.
- 30 DAYS
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Local VFW receives grant for generator, building work - Madison Heights
- ‘30 Americans’ celebrates and explores identity and other issues - Detroit
- Dashing through the shows at the Macomb Center - Clinton Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights