CLINTON TOWNSHIP —As a general rule, warmer weather typically means an increase in the number of zoning code violations.
To help enforce its codes, Clinton Township recently approved the hire of former police dispatch shift supervisor David Popovich as the township’s new code enforcement officer.
In Clinton Township, the responsibilities of code enforcement were previously performed as a secondary function of its five building inspectors, said township Building Superintendent Mike Gentry. But the addition of a 40-hour-per-week code enforcement officer will help free up those inspectors to focus on their primary duty of performing building inspections, he added.
The township approved the code enforcement officer position at an annual salary of $54,039. As a code enforcement officer, Popovich’s duties could include responding to a number of different code violations, including, but not limited to, unpermitted signs, lawns that have been left uncut for too long, property blight and unpermitted roofing projects.
“The main goal of ordinance enforcement is compliance,” Gentry said. “We’re not looking for violations or tickets.”
Gentry said Popovich’s experience working for more than two decades as a police dispatcher will serve him well on the position. He is detail-oriented, capable of working well with a diverse group of people and able to keep calm under pressure, Gentry added.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit