SouthfieldMarch 13, 2013
Teen killed in undercover drug investigation
SOUTHFIELD — An undercover officer reportedly shot and killed a 17-year-old resident March 12 during a drug investigation at the Cornerstone Village condominium complex.
According to a press release issued by Undersheriff Michael McCabe of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the Narcotics Enforcement Team was conducting an undercover operation at the complex, located off of Greenfield Road, north of Nine Mile Road, at around 3:45 p.m. March 12.
“During the investigation, a suspect pulled a weapon on one of the undercover NET officers and placed the weapon to the (officer’s) head in an attempt to rob him,” McCabe said in the statement. “The officer pulled his gun and was able to fire shots that struck the suspect.”
The suspect was reportedly transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead shortly after; the officer was not harmed.
NET is a multijurisdictional drug taskforce, supervised by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. The force is made up of officers from 13 local police agencies and the Drug Enforcement Agency.
The Special Investigations Unit from the Sheriff’s Office, along with the Southfield Police Department, is investigating the crime.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi