Suspects in Family Dollar robberies arrested
Posted February 21, 2013
Two men accused of committing a spate of robberies earlier this month — including three at Family Dollar stores in Warren and another in Southfield — are now in custody, police confirmed Feb. 19.
Warren police Detective Scott Isaacson said one of the suspects, identified only as a 20-year-old Detroit resident pending his arraignment in the 37th District Court, was arrested by Westland police Feb. 16 after an attempted robbery at a cash advance store.
Isaacson said the man was later transferred to the custody of Canton police, where he was also expected to face charges.
Investigators reportedly contacted Warren police after the man was identified as a suspect in a string of robberies, including two at separate Family Dollar stores in Warren Feb. 4 and a third at another Family Dollar location in Warren Feb. 11.
Isaacson said Warren police, acting on tips generated by surveillance photos, were able to identify a second suspect in the Warren and Southfield robberies.
Officers with the Warren Police Department’s Special Operations Unit later arrested the second suspect, now identified as 20-year-old Perez Daniels, at his home near Eight Mile and Ryan in Detroit.
Daniels was arraigned on armed robbery and attempted armed robbery charges in the 37th District Court Feb. 20. He requested court-appointed legal counsel and remained jailed on a $250,000 bond.
Detectives said the other suspect would face charges in Warren at some point, but that he remained in custody in another jurisdiction with outstanding robbery charges now pending in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.
The men allegedly used a toy gun to rob the Family Dollar stores on Nine Mile, east of Ryan, and Eight Mile, west of Mound, Feb. 4, the same day they allegedly committed another robbery in Southfield. The pair also allegedly targeted the Family Dollar store near Eight Mile and Van Dyke Feb. 11.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
More from C & G Newspapers
Grosse Pointe Shores
- 30 DAYS
- Macomb Mall theater structure to be torn down - Roseville
- Fire & Ice with Spice supports #DougStrong - Clawson
- K-2 students adapt with their own tablets - Fraser
- Aging in place is made easier in high-tech era - Metro Detroit
- Blessings in a Backpack program helps 39 Kennedy students stay fed - Ferndale
- Woman stabbed at GM Tech Center - Warren
- Building on Big Beaver goes on auction block - Troy
- Hall Road project planned for 2017 - Shelby Township
- Chippewa graduate to compete on ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Clinton Township
- Park concept plan unveiled - Rochester Hills
- Bald eagles spotted around city - St. Clair Shores
- 6 places to purchase the perfect paczki - Metro Detroit
- Man shot multiple times, suspect on loose - Clinton Township
- Local student accepted to MIT - Clinton Township