WARREN — The man shot by the homeowner he allegedly intended to rob of cash and gold jewelry at a house on Norma earlier this month has been formally charged with a list of felonies.
Christopher Todd, 39, of Detroit, remained hospitalized under the guard of Macomb County sheriff deputies after he was arraigned in the hospital on armed robbery, felony assault and weapons charges Sept. 19, Warren Police Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said.
Investigators alleged Todd went to a home near Hoover and 11 Mile Road and tried to rob a 68-year-old resident after the man let him into the home to wait for his brother. Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said Todd demanded cash and gold but that the homeowner instead retrieved a gun from an upstairs bedroom and shot him three times. A violent melee ensued and Todd allegedly used a handgun to “pistol whip” the homeowner. The resident was found walking along the nearby I-696 service drive by responding officers and was treated for deep gashes on his head. He was kept for observation but later released from the hospital.
Metz said the resident apparently tried to follow Todd, who made it out of the house to a waiting car. The driver reportedly dropped Todd at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital at Hoover and 12 Mile Road where police found him.
“He had surgery yesterday. They’re going to try to get him up and moving,” Metz said of Todd’s condition Sept. 20. “He’s in serious but stable condition.”
Police said the resident involved in the shooting would not face criminal charges.
Todd is a convicted felon with a criminal history going back to the mid-1990s, according to Michigan Department of Corrections online records. He requested court appointed legal counsel when Visiting Judge Theodore Metry arraigned him in the hospital Sept. 19.
Defense attorney Adil Haradhvala, appointed to represent Todd, said Sept. 25 he had just received the case and declined to comment on the matter ahead of a hearing set for 8:45 a.m. Oct. 3.
Todd was ordered held in custody on a $250,000 cash bond.
- 30 DAYS
- Homeless man’s body found in Clinton River - Harrison Township
- Fireworks damage house, SUV over July 4 holiday - St. Clair Shores
- Police take attempted carjacking suspect into custody - Grosse Pointe Park
- Couple assaulted after fireworks show - West Bloomfield
- Madison district asks voters to approve bond for new middle school - Madison Heights
- East Detroit approves positive budget - Eastpointe
- Hazel Park voters to decide continuation of reduced police millage Aug. 4 - Hazel Park
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- New festival comes to Mount Clemens this week - Mount Clemens
- Police identify man who drowned at Stony Creek - Shelby Township
- Huntington Woods author sees her essays about child’s passing published - Huntington Woods