WARREN — The man shot by the homeowner he allegedly intended to rob of cash and gold jewelry at a house on Norma earlier this month has been formally charged with a list of felonies.
Christopher Todd, 39, of Detroit, remained hospitalized under the guard of Macomb County sheriff deputies after he was arraigned in the hospital on armed robbery, felony assault and weapons charges Sept. 19, Warren Police Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said.
Investigators alleged Todd went to a home near Hoover and 11 Mile Road and tried to rob a 68-year-old resident after the man let him into the home to wait for his brother. Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said Todd demanded cash and gold but that the homeowner instead retrieved a gun from an upstairs bedroom and shot him three times. A violent melee ensued and Todd allegedly used a handgun to “pistol whip” the homeowner. The resident was found walking along the nearby I-696 service drive by responding officers and was treated for deep gashes on his head. He was kept for observation but later released from the hospital.
Metz said the resident apparently tried to follow Todd, who made it out of the house to a waiting car. The driver reportedly dropped Todd at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital at Hoover and 12 Mile Road where police found him.
“He had surgery yesterday. They’re going to try to get him up and moving,” Metz said of Todd’s condition Sept. 20. “He’s in serious but stable condition.”
Police said the resident involved in the shooting would not face criminal charges.
Todd is a convicted felon with a criminal history going back to the mid-1990s, according to Michigan Department of Corrections online records. He requested court appointed legal counsel when Visiting Judge Theodore Metry arraigned him in the hospital Sept. 19.
Defense attorney Adil Haradhvala, appointed to represent Todd, said Sept. 25 he had just received the case and declined to comment on the matter ahead of a hearing set for 8:45 a.m. Oct. 3.
Todd was ordered held in custody on a $250,000 cash bond.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit