WarrenSeptember 26, 2013
Suspect shot by homeowner during robbery charged
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — The man shot by the homeowner he allegedly intended to rob of cash and gold jewelry at a house on Norma earlier this month has been formally charged with a list of felonies.
Christopher Todd, 39, of Detroit, remained hospitalized under the guard of Macomb County sheriff deputies after he was arraigned in the hospital on armed robbery, felony assault and weapons charges Sept. 19, Warren Police Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said.
Investigators alleged Todd went to a home near Hoover and 11 Mile Road and tried to rob a 68-year-old resident after the man let him into the home to wait for his brother. Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said Todd demanded cash and gold but that the homeowner instead retrieved a gun from an upstairs bedroom and shot him three times. A violent melee ensued and Todd allegedly used a handgun to “pistol whip” the homeowner. The resident was found walking along the nearby I-696 service drive by responding officers and was treated for deep gashes on his head. He was kept for observation but later released from the hospital.
Metz said the resident apparently tried to follow Todd, who made it out of the house to a waiting car. The driver reportedly dropped Todd at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital at Hoover and 12 Mile Road where police found him.
“He had surgery yesterday. They’re going to try to get him up and moving,” Metz said of Todd’s condition Sept. 20. “He’s in serious but stable condition.”
Police said the resident involved in the shooting would not face criminal charges.
Todd is a convicted felon with a criminal history going back to the mid-1990s, according to Michigan Department of Corrections online records. He requested court appointed legal counsel when Visiting Judge Theodore Metry arraigned him in the hospital Sept. 19.
Defense attorney Adil Haradhvala, appointed to represent Todd, said Sept. 25 he had just received the case and declined to comment on the matter ahead of a hearing set for 8:45 a.m. Oct. 3.
Todd was ordered held in custody on a $250,000 cash bond.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi