Suspect remains at large after chase, crash

By: Brian Louwers | C&G Newspapers | Published February 16, 2017

WARREN/ROSEVILE — A man who crashed twice and later fled into a Roseville neighborhood after an attempted traffic stop in Warren Feb. 13 remained on the loose at press time, as an investigation continued into the theft of a rental car he was reportedly driving.

The suspect, described only as a black man in his 30s wearing khaki pants and a light brown jacket, fled on foot from the scene of a crash at 11 Mile and Gratiot, minutes after Warren police attempted to stop him for speeding on Hoover. The ensuing chase reportedly began at 10:50 a.m. and moved east along 11 Mile Road. Contrary to a prior report, police said the chase remained on the service drive and never reached the freeway.

Detective Sgt. Rob Eidt, of the Warren Police Department, said a patrol officer used a radar device to measure the speed of the gray 2017 Ford Fusion driven by the suspect at 50 mph in a 35 mph zone on Hoover. The suspect allegedly failed to stop for police, and a chase continued east along the 11 Mile Road/Interstate 696 service drive, where the Fusion reportedly collided with a vehicle at Bunert.

Eidt said dispatch advised officers to terminate the pursuit as it approached Groesbeck, but that shortly thereafter the Fusion collided with another vehicle on Gratiot. According to a police report, one person suffered minor injuries. That person was reportedly treated at the scene and released.

After the crash, the suspect reportedly left the vehicle and fled into a neighborhood on foot. Police from several cities descended on an area south and east of the 11 Mile and Gratiot intersection and conducted a house-to-house search with the assistance of K-9 units.

A source with Roseville Community Schools confirmed that the nearby Huron Park Elementary School was placed on lockdown during the search.

The search for the suspect continued into the afternoon before it was called off, but Eidt said an investigation into the reported theft of the leased Fusion remained ongoing.

“At the time of the chase, the lessee of the vehicle wasn’t aware of the chase or the theft, and it wasn’t until she was contacted by police that she reported it stolen,” Eidt said.