Stoney Creek grad killed in Meridian Township stabbing
February 26, 2013
A 23-year-old Michigan State University student from Rochester died shortly after he allegedly was stabbed at an apartment complex near campus over the weekend, according to Meridian Township police.
On Feb. 25, Ingham County prosecutors arraigned 18-year-old Connor McCowan of Okemos, who was charged with open murder in connection with the death of Andrew Singler. He was ordered held without bond pending a preliminary examination next week.
Police in Meridian Township said in a press release that Singler was stabbed at an apartment in the 6200 block of Rothbury Way at 4:13 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 and died shortly after a roommate transported him to the emergency room at Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital.
Investigators called Singler’s death a homicide in a news release, but have not released details about what led to the stabbing or the extent of the injuries.
McCowan's attorney, Chris Bergstrom, could not be reached for comment at press time.
Singler, a 2008 graduate of Stoney Creek High School, was in his last semester at Michigan State University. He was expected to graduate in the spring and continue on to dental school, according to his obituary.
Singler’s funeral is scheduled for 2 p.m. Feb. 26 at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 620 Romeo St., in Rochester. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial contributions in his name be directed to Little Kids Rock, 632 Pompton Ave., Suite 2, Cedar Grove, NJ, 07009.
Singler is survived by his parents, three brothers and a sister.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit