Dane Slater will remain the mayor of Troy after 22 percent of registered Troy voters elected him by a margin of 573 votes in the May 7 special election, according to unofficial results.
The votes were in by 8:30 p.m. election night, and there were no issues in any of the 19 precincts, Troy City Clerk Aileen Bittner said.
Slater garnered 6,393 votes, former lawmaker Marty Knollenberg received 5,820 votes, Faris Alami got 76 votes, Jon Desjardins received 12 votes, David Elsas garnered 170 votes and Scott T. Welborn received 215 votes, according to the unofficial results.
“We have a great team in place,” Slater said. “We have some issues we need to address,” he said, referring to the Downtown Development Authority bond deficit and the recent court ruling that the city does not own the land the Troy Transit Center is being constructed on. “We have a good law department and good city administration. I feel very confident we can handle the issues and handle tough decisions. I feel upbeat and confident. I want to embrace the confidence the voters put in me.”
The Troy City Council appointed Slater as mayor last fall after voters recalled Janice Daniels from the mayoral seat. However, the state attorney general and the secretary of state mandated that the city hold a special election to fill the mayoral seat.
“It was very smooth,” Bittner said. Equipment that had been piloted in the presidential election last November was in full use for the May 7 election. Bittner commended the city staff, whom she said worked in “high gear” throughout the day.
She noted that the turnout was about what was expected. Bittner said that turnout for local elections ranges from 25 to 27 percent. There are approximately 58,000 registered voters in Troy. Bittner expected the county to certify the results within a few days.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township