WEST BLOOMFIELD — An ActiveRx Active Aging Center opened to the public Jan. 29 at the corner of Maple and Farmington Roads. The 2,160-square-foot center is the first ActiveRx location in Michigan, though other locations have already opened in Arizona, Colorado, Texas and California.
ActiveRx Michigan regional developer Mark Lines said business has been “so far, so good” with a couple of referrals and a warm reception by community leaders. He hopes ActiveRx will be convenient and beneficial to a growing population of seniors ages 60 and older.
“There is a large population in West Bloomfield that can really benefit from our services,” he said. “We want to get out there and get the word out.”
ActiveRx founder and CEO Matt Essex, who lives in Arizona, said his business mission is to redefine aging. He acknowledges that it sounds like a lofty mission, but he said ActiveRx’s services are based on decades of clinical research.
“We found in our research that strength directly translates to function, which directly translates to independence and quality of life,” he said.
Essex said ActiveRx is neither a health club nor a gym. The clinic’s services are intended to strengthen seniors so they can move around, keep their sense of balance and live more independent lives.
The center offers evaluations and signs seniors up for therapeutic programs to rehabilitate, strengthen muscles and keep them well, he said. The programs may teach clients how to prevent or alleviate chronic ailments, such as heart disease and arthritis, Essex said.
Lines, of Wolverine Lake, said he has worked in the medical device industry for years, and he leaped at the chance to operate an ActiveRx location.
“This was a franchise that really marries well with my background and experience,” he said.
Lines said he knows from personal experience the importance of helping seniors remain independent, adding that his own parents, who live in Colorado, are experiencing that period in their lives.
Although his business has only been open for several business days, he said he already appreciates the feedback he has gotten from customers, such as one man who wants to free himself from back pain.
“He wants to be able to play golf this summer,” Lines said.
The West Bloomfield ActiveRx Active Aging Center is located at 6018 W. Maple Road, Suite 850, in West Bloomfield. Learn more at www.activerx.com or call (248) 932-0111.
- 30 DAYS
- Local teen wins state pageant title - St. Clair Shores
- Scrivo sentenced to life without parole - St. Clair Shores
- Car chase ends with teen driving into Clinton River - Macomb
- BHMS student to be featured at international art show - Bloomfield Township
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- City offers road, parking lot renovation updates - Sterling Heights
- Warren grows bountiful farmers markets - Warren
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township