Royal OakJune 19, 2013
Royal Oak schools recognizes two teachers for achievements
By Robert Guttersohn
C & G Staff Writer
ROYAL OAK — At the June 13 Board of Education meeting, the school district gave out a pair of distinguished recognition awards to two of its elementary teachers.
Both Molly Brinker, a third-grade math teacher at Addams Elementary, and Lois Mann, a kindergarten teacher at Oak Ridge Elementary, have already been recognized for their achievements as teachers.
Brinker, 37, was named Oakland County Outstanding Elementary School Teacher of the Year in March — the first in Royal Oak schools’ history. The Clarkston resident was an eighth-grade English instructor at Keller Middle School from 2002-07 before shifting to Addams.
“We are so pleased and proud to have Molly working with our students at Addams Elementary,” said Superintendent Shawn Lewis-Lakin.
Brinker said at the board meeting that winning the county award was like winning the educational lottery.
“You are overcome with this pride of being recognized for not just the person you are, but your educational craft,” she said.
Brinker said the district recognizing her was special enough, but to be named the top teacher among the thousands in Oakland County was unbelievable.
“To think that the work that I do is that impactful really just leaves me speechless,” Brinker said.
She said the county award will open the door for the school district to be put on the map.
Metro Parent magazine named Mann one of the five best teachers in metro Detroit in May, according to a press release from the school district.
“Lois Mann is an exemplar when it comes to kindergarten teaching,” Lewis-Lakin said.
He said that Metro Parent naming her a top educator in the region means he’s not the only one who thinks that of her.
Mann said that while she was grateful for the honor, any teacher within her school could have been named one of the best teachers.
“I really appreciate it, but I just feel that I work with amazing people,” Mann said to the board. “Everybody that I work with deserves this, too. It’s what I love to do. It’s what the people I work with love to do.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Parks and Rec confirms ITC won’t work on trail until 2014 - West Bloomfield
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Holiday Shopping Expo comes to town Dec. 14-15 - Farmington Hills
- Ford House grounds dazzle after dark this holiday season - Grosse Pointe Shores
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi