ROCHESTER HILLS — The southwest corner of Auburn and Rochester roads will see a new restaurant and retail development within the coming year.
A gas station and the buildings of a former automobile dealership currently occupy the corner. Developers plan for a McDonald’s drive-thru restaurant, a coffee shop and more.
The new center will feature four buildings, pedestrian-friendly walkways, seating areas and a patio area.
“The idea is to take all the buildings down to make for redevelopment of a cohesive, consistent retail design to house retailers and restaurants,” said project architect Mark Drane, of Rogvoy Architects. “Creating a streetscape. All the buildings are a similar size. We’ve eliminated four of the (current) seven curb cuts, and two (curb cuts) have limited access in and out. It is challenge at times to get through that intersection.”
“A curb island will force drivers to make a right-hand turn and not allow and encourage any left-hand turns,” said Rochester Hills City Council member Greg Hooper.
“It is one of the busiest intersections in the city and it is in desperate need of redevelopment,” said City Council member Adam Kochenderfer. “But it has to be done in a very specific way that minimizes traffic concerns. It looks like you have done that.”
Council member James Rosen agreed. “That is one of the intersections to avoid if you want to turn left on Rochester Road,” Rosen said. “You can be there for two or three lights.”
Property owner Doraid Markus, of Rochester Auburn Associates LLC, said the development is currently in negotiation with several national retailers, under terms of confidentiality. “There is more demand than I have space,” he said. “A coffee shop, sandwich and submarine shops, major restaurants to utilize the patio area.”
By a unanimous vote June 10, the City Council approved a conditional land use permit for the new development.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores