Restaurant Week is served up in Sterling Heights
By Eric Czarnik
Posted May 7, 2014
Sterling Heights Restaurant Week promises to be a golden opportunity for people hungry to try something new, according to organizers.
The Sterling Heights Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry has teamed up with several local dining establishments to host Restaurant Week May 5-9.
According to the chamber, Applebee’s, bd’s Mongolian Grill, The Country Inn, Dooleys, Honey Tree Restaurant and Uno Pizzeria & Grill are the Sterling Heights restaurants that have signed up.
Chamber President and CEO Wayne Oehmke said this isn’t the first time the chamber has hosted a Restaurant Week, but it’s the first year it has targeted the event to one community, instead of spreading it throughout multiple Macomb County communities.
“A consumer can go have a great meal and experience a new place,” he said.
A chamber list of Sterling Heights Restaurant Week participants explains the deals:
• Applebee’s, 37004 Van Dyke Ave., is holding a $25 deal for two people that includes a choice of salad or listed appetizer, two full-size entrees out of a range of choices and a Triple Chocolate Meltdown dessert.
• bd’s Mongolian Grill, 13150 Hall Road, is offering a “2 for $20” special that includes two unlimited stir-frys with soup and salad, and a pop.
• The Country Inn, 35756 Van Dyke Ave., is offering two dinner entrees for $16.99 out of a selection of dinners. The possible dinners are fish and chips, a shrimp basket, baked meatloaf, broiled chopped sirloin, veal cutlets, roasted turkey, roasted half chicken, chicken strips, any stir-fry, or any Italian Favorites. The entrees will be joined by a choice of potato and soup, salad or coleslaw. Tax, drinks and gratuity are not included in the offer.
• Dooleys, 12414 Hall Road, is offering $2 off any lunch of $6 or greater. The venue is also offering a $2-off deal for dinner on any entree, pizza or burgers $10 or greater.
• Honey Tree Restaurant, 44667 Mound Road, has a buy one, get one half-off deal from its regular menu for lunch and dinner, plus a deal of $5 off a purchase of $25 or more from the regular menu.
• Uno Pizzeria & Grill, 44805 Mound Road, is offering a $2-off discount to any steak, seafood, chicken or pasta entrée.
Oehmke said his chamber “emailed and snail-mailed, in some cases personally visited” restaurants to try to get a variety to join the event.
“We certainly encourage our members, and we hope it’s an opportunity for them to promote themselves,” he said.
The chamber’s marketing director, Lisa Edwards, said they are unsure of what to expect in terms of consumer participation and turnout this year.
“We’re hoping to drive new people into the restaurants that they might have not been (to),” she said. “Restaurants are the No. 1 most searched category on our website. We have more than 100 (restaurant members) countywide.”
Learn more about the May 5-9 Restaurant Week and its participating restaurants from the Sterling Heights Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Sterling Heights at visit www.suscc.com or (586) 731-5400.
Reach Applebee’s at (586) 268-9801, bd’s Mongolian Grill at (586) 726-6655, The Country Inn at (586) 826-9100, Dooleys at (586) 323-3501, Honey Tree Restaurant at (586) 739-7284 and Uno Pizzeria & Grill at (586) 991-0912.
About the author
Staff Writer Eric Czarnik reports on Sterling Heights and Utica Community Schools, and he writes a weekly auto column. He is a Wayne State University graduate who has been employed at C & G Newspapers since 2007.
More from C & G Newspapers