RCS Board of Education seat left vacant after trustee resigns
Published November 28, 2012
ROCHESTER — The Rochester Community Schools district is hoping to fill a vacant seat on the Board of Education, following the resignation of Trustee Gerald Moore.
Moore — who was elected to the board in Nov. 2009, and his six-year term was extended when the board’s elections were moved to November in even years — submitted his letter of resignation from the Board of Education, effective immediately, on Nov. 19.
In the letter, Moore said he approached the board president last year to address his concerns regarding his ability to continue effectively serving as a trustee, since his primary profession requires significant travel throughout each of Michigan’s 83 counties.
“I was troubled that this travel would not allow me to be physically present, if at all, for many of my board commitments and responsibilities. The board president expressed a desire for me to continue my service on the board. At that time, the board president and superintendent were extremely accommodating and supportive by making the necessary technological adjustments, which allowed me to participate in School Board functions remotely. I am very appreciative of their efforts,” he wrote in the letter.
After “much thought and consideration,” Moore said he recently decided to resign from his position as Rochester Community School Board trustee.
“My job-related travel has only intensified since my initial conversation with our board president. As such, I cannot effectively provide the leadership and contributions necessary as School Board trustee,” he continued in the letter.
RCS Community Relations Manager Debbi Hartman said the board must appoint Moore’s replacement within 30 days, as required by law.
“The Board of Education is anxious to have this seat filled quickly so that the new trustee can be immediately involved in the important task of selecting a new superintendent for Rochester Community Schools,” Hartman said in an email.
Applications for the open seat, due by 3 p.m. Nov. 30, can be found on the district’s website at www.rochester.k12.mi.us or at the reception desk in the Administration Center, 501 W. University Drive in Rochester. Hartman said no applications will be accepted after 3 p.m. Nov. 30, regardless of postmark date. The names of the applicants will be posted on the district’s website on Nov. 30.
The community will be able to meet the candidates during an open house at 6 p.m. Dec. 3 in the Harrison Room at the Administration Center. At 7 p.m., the candidates will be interviewed by the board during a special meeting.
The board will interview finalists during an open meeting at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 in the Graham Conference Room at the Administration Center.
The newly appointed board trustee will be sworn in, and take his or her seat, at the regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting at 7 p.m. Dec. 10 in the Harrison Room.
Moore’s appointed replacement will serve until Dec. 31, 2014. Voters will select a trustee for the remainder of the term, which expires Dec. 31, 2016, during the Nov. 2014 election.
- 30 DAYS
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling Heights teen to sing in Nashville — and at Sterlingfest - Sterling Heights
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Decades of Dress features ageless fashion - Rochester Hills
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights