Propane tank explodes, sparks home fire
By Terry Oparka
Posted May 17, 2017
A malfunctioning 1-pound propane tank attached to a torch in a basement on Walker Drive, near Square Lake and Rochester roads, reportedly exploded and ignited a fire just after 2:30 p.m. May 14.
When firefighters arrived, all residents had evacuated from the home, according to a report. One resident was treated at the scene for a minor burn injury.
Troy Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Riesterer explained that the explosion damaged a water pipe, which broke and contained the fire.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, which was hot enough to melt the ceiling-mounted smoke alarm. They confirmed that the fire had not spread and ensured all residents were out of the home, according to a report.
Firefighters ventilated smoke from the home, and residents were advised not to return inside the home, Riesterer said. Damage is estimated at approximately $30,000.
About the author
Staff Writer Terry Oparka covers Troy and the Troy School District for the Troy Times. Oparka has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2000 and attended Oakland University and Macomb Community College. Oparka has won an award from the Michigan Press Association and four awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit Chapter.
More from C & G Newspapers
St. Clair Shores