Police search for suspects after assault on Farmington Hills woman
January 18, 2013
After an assault left a local woman seriously injured authorities are reaching out to the public for information to help them catch an attacker in the area.
At approximately 10:45 p.m. Jan. 16, a 42-year-old woman was assaulted with a club-type weapon while she was inside the exterior entrance area of Village Green condominiums, at Eight Mile and Grand River, according to Farmington Hills police.
Cmdr. Matt Koehn said the woman was returning to her condominium that night when she was struck in the upper body by something that resembled a pipe, though many details remain unclear.
“We had a witness that observed the man right after the crime and we did get a little bit of information from the victim, but she was in the condition where we really needed to let her recover first,” he said Friday morning.
The woman was in the hospital and in stable condition at press time.
A press release issued by the department on Thursday stated that the woman was seriously injured during the attack and was transported to a local hospital to be admitted after she was first treated on the scene by the Farmington Hills Fire Department.
Koehn said the motive is still unclear, though authorities are “operating under the assumption that something was taken” from the woman. They also have reason to believe that the victim was knocked unconscious immediately after the assault, just for a short time.
The suspect is still at large and is described as a black man, approximately 35 years old, between 5 feet, 10 inches and 6 feet, 2 inches tall. He reportedly has a medium build, and was wearing a beige jacket and blue jeans during the attack. The suspect vehicle has been described as a light-brown four-door Ford Taurus from the late ‘90s.
Authorities from Farmington Hills are also working with the Northville City Police Department after a similar incident occurred in their city the same day. Northville police found evidence recovered in a wooded area between Founders Sports Park and the Green Hill apartment complex, located in the Eight Mile and Halsted area of Farmington Hills, according to the press release.
Koehn said his team was already working on the investigation with Northville on that crime when the Farmington Hills report came through, though their connection is not definite.
“We’re still not positive that these incidents are related. It’s still too early to say,” he said.
Police need the public’s help in identifying possible suspects to take the attacker off the streets. Anyone who observed suspicious activity at Founders Sports Park or Green Hill apartments between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Jan. 16, or suspicious activity at the Village Green apartment complex during the night hours of Jan. 16, is asked to contact police.
Authorities say that any information about a white SUV-type vehicle that was traveling westbound on Eight Mile in the right curb lane after the Village Green apartment attack would also be helpful. The vehicle was reportedly nearly struck by the suspect vehicle exiting the scene after the crime.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Farmington Hills Police Department Command Desk at (248) 871-2600.
- 30 DAYS
- Local teen wins state pageant title - St. Clair Shores
- Scrivo sentenced to life without parole - St. Clair Shores
- Car chase ends with teen driving into Clinton River - Macomb
- BHMS student to be featured at international art show - Bloomfield Township
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- City offers road, parking lot renovation updates - Sterling Heights
- Warren grows bountiful farmers markets - Warren
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township