Police search for man suspected of stealing employee’s purse
July 23, 2013
Authorities are searching for this man, suspected of using stolen credit cards to make purchases at Meijer June 24.
The suspect vehicle is believed to be a newer-model black Toyota, according to police.
SOUTHFIELD — Police are asking for the public’s assistance in locating a suspect believed to have stolen a woman’s purse last month. After several weeks of investigation, Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department said, they were able to match the suspect’s photo from the June 24 larceny to surveillance footage from the Meijer store in Southfield, where the stolen credit cards were traced.
“The suspect in this case stole a purse from an office building in the city of Southfield and then used the credit cards from the purse to make purchases immediately after,” he said, noting that the crime happened at 2 Towne Square and that the victim was a 58-year-old employee at the office building. “She said she does not know the suspect and has not seen him before.”
Inside the purse were several credit and debit cards, along with miscellaneous items, according to the report. The victim said she believes the purse was stolen directly from her office sometime between 8:15 a.m. and 1 p.m. that day.
Police did not indicate in the report how much was spent at the store or what the suspect purchased, though the photo shows the man, in office attire, with a shopping cart full of purchased goods as he exits the store.
Also caught on the security cameras at Meijer was the suspect vehicle, which Loussia said is a black, likely newer-model Toyota.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Police declare report of threat to Meijer store baseless - Sterling Heights
- Shoplifter flees store with North Face jackets worth $1,000 - Utica
- ACT scores from assessment’s final year released - St. Clair Shores
- Wreaths to be laid on hallowed ground Dec.12 - Metro Detroit
- Red Wings score healthy victory at local elementary school - Clawson
- BHS theater students show comedy chops in ‘Noises Off’ - Berkley
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville