TroyApril 24, 2013
Police nab man suspected settling escort fee with gunfire
By Terry Oparka
C & G Staff Writer
A 24-year-old Dearborn Heights man who allegedly tried to collect a $50 escort cancelation fee by brandishing a semi-automatic handgun was arraigned on assault and home invasion charges last week.
According to police, officers were called to an apartment complex in the 2300 block of Coolidge just before 9:30 p.m. April 15 on reports of possible shots fired. Police arrived and spoke to the victim, who reportedly had scratch marks on his neck, an abrasion to his right cheek and blood around his left ear. He told police that he had ordered an escort online from Backpage.com, and when she arrived, he declined her services because she didn’t match the photo online. She demanded a $50 cancelation fee, which he refused to pay, police said.
The escort then reportedly placed a call, and a man came to the apartment and forced his way inside, in an effort to collect the fee, police said. The two men struggled, and the Dearborn Heights man allegedly brandished a semi-automatic handgun and fired a round into the wall of the apartment. The altercation continued into the common hallway, where the Dearborn Heights man reportedly put the other man in a headlock, which he broke free of. The Dearborn Heights man fled from the apartment building, according to reports.
After an investigation, Troy police identified the escort and the suspect. Troy police, with assistance from Westland and Canton Township police, arrested Darryl Scott Cunningham in Westland April 16. Police also recovered the gun.
Cunningham was arraigned in 52-4 District Court April 18 on charges of first-degree home invasion and felonious assault. Bond was set at $25,000 or cash/surety. His preliminary exam is set for April 22. His attorney could not be reached for comment before press time.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Voters approve human rights ordinance - Royal Oak
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Digital diet could help put emotions, priorities in shape