Police: Fatal two-car crash still under investigation
Published June 27, 2012
Shelby Township police believe alcohol was a “contributing factor” in an accident that claimed two lives June 25 at the intersection of 23 Mile and Hayes roads.
At roughly 8:45 p.m., Shelby Township police and fire were dispatched to the intersection after a four-door sedan traveling west on 23 Mile Road collided with a minivan heading south on Hayes Road.
The driver of the car, an adult female, was one of two fatalities in the crash. She died after being transported to a local hospital.
Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the driver of the car had been spotted failing to stop for traffic signals in the area of 23 Mile and Romeo Plank roads prior to the accident.
Woelkers said he did not believe the “intelligent” traffic systems that operate the signals at the 23 Mile and Hayes intersection played a role.
The other fatality, a 3-year-old girl who police report was “pronounced (dead) at the hospital,” was one of five people in the van, along with two adult parents and two other children; the four surviving occupants were treated for injuries.
Police report the car struck the minivan, and that despite the death of the car’s driver, the accident is still under investigation with a focus on locations that may have sold or served her alcohol.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to contact Shelby Township police at (586) 731-2121.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe