WARREN — There were no injuries or loss of human life, but Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said a bird and a dog were overcome by smoke and died in an apartment fire near Ryan and Toepfer Jan. 7.
Firefighters were dispatched to the multi-family dwelling on Toepfer west of Ryan at about 10 a.m. after residents of the building reportedly smelled smoke.
McAdams said fire crews arrived to find smoke coming from one of the apartments. The resident of the unit was not home at the time.
“We arrived to a smoke-filled apartment. (There was) a small fire in the hallway near a storage closet. We found two pets: a dog, and a parrot of some sort. They both were overcome with smoke.”
McAdams said the bird, a cockatiel, was in a cage and was deceased at the scene. Paramedics reportedly attempted to revive the dog but were unsuccessful.
A senior citizen resides in the unit but McAdams said she reportedly left earlier that morning.
The cause of the fire remained undetermined Jan. 9 but McAdams said it did not appear to be in any way suspicious.
The building houses multiple rental units and it was unclear how many people were in the adjacent apartments when the fire broke out. There were no injuries reported among residents or responding firefighters.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe