WARREN — There were no injuries or loss of human life, but Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said a bird and a dog were overcome by smoke and died in an apartment fire near Ryan and Toepfer Jan. 7.
Firefighters were dispatched to the multi-family dwelling on Toepfer west of Ryan at about 10 a.m. after residents of the building reportedly smelled smoke.
McAdams said fire crews arrived to find smoke coming from one of the apartments. The resident of the unit was not home at the time.
“We arrived to a smoke-filled apartment. (There was) a small fire in the hallway near a storage closet. We found two pets: a dog, and a parrot of some sort. They both were overcome with smoke.”
McAdams said the bird, a cockatiel, was in a cage and was deceased at the scene. Paramedics reportedly attempted to revive the dog but were unsuccessful.
A senior citizen resides in the unit but McAdams said she reportedly left earlier that morning.
The cause of the fire remained undetermined Jan. 9 but McAdams said it did not appear to be in any way suspicious.
The building houses multiple rental units and it was unclear how many people were in the adjacent apartments when the fire broke out. There were no injuries reported among residents or responding firefighters.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township