Pedestrian struck and killed in hit-and-run on M-53
By Sarah Wojcik
Posted January 13, 2014
At approximately 6 a.m. Jan. 13, officers responded to calls that a pedestrian had been hit by a vehicle on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass. The pedestrian was deceased at the scene.
Shelby Township Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pedestrian was a 39-year-old Macomb Township man. Witnesses told police that the man walked out into the highway, lay down on the road and was struck.
The man, a Chrysler employee, is survived by his wife and two children.
Woelkers classified the incident as a hit-and-run because the motorist responsible did not stop. He said, judging by the impact, police believe it was a smaller vehicle and that no other vehicles struck the man.
While the medical examiner and detective bureau are still investigating the cause of death, Woelkers said it unofficially appears to be a suicide.
Police closed down the Van Dyke expressway from 6-10 a.m. in order to take photos and measurements, collect evidence and investigate the incident. Consequently, the incident cause a traffic gridlock that Woelkers said had many citizens upset and concerned.
No suspect has turned in himself or herself, and the Police Department has not received any tips.
“At 6 in the morning, it’s dark and people are going to work. (The suspect) could have thought they hit a deer carcass or a big pothole. That’s not likely, but it could be possible,” Woelkers said.
Investigators ask that anyone with information about the hit-and-run incident contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
About the author
Staff Writer Sarah Wojcik covers Shelby Township and Utica for the Shelby-Utica News. Sarah has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and attended Oakland University. She won three Excellence in Journalism awards from the Detroit chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
More from C & G Newspapers