Mount ClemensNovember 30, 2012
Pay-by-phone parking meters launched
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
MOUNT CLEMENS — Just in time for the holiday shopping rush, parking in downtown Mount Clemens has been made much more convenient.
Last week, the city officially implemented a pay-by-phone parking meter program through Parkmobile.
Now, the thousands of existing parking meters throughout the city are affixed with a sticker that will allow smartphone holders, should they have no change readily available, an option to pay for parking time by using Parkmobile’s mobile applications for the iPhone, Android, Windows 7 and Blackberry smartphones.
To use the new Parkmobile system, customers can register for free at www.parkmobile. com or download the mobile app. Once registered, they can use the mobile app, the Internet, or a toll-free number to pay for parking. After setting up the account, customers can immediately start using the system with their registered mobile phone. They can also select the option to receive alerts and reminders 15 minutes prior to expiration of their parking session, said one Parkmobile official.
“With this technology, customers no longer have to search for change at their destination,” said Cherie Fuzzell, CEO of Parkmobile USA, Inc. “Our mobile payment service is an example of another technology that can make our lives easier and more efficient.”
The Mount Clemens City Commission unanimously approved the concept in October.
Mayor Barb Dempsey said users will pay a small fee for each pay-by-phone transaction, but the program is not costing the city or the taxpayers, in the long run. She said that Parkmobile will deposit small amounts into a city account each month, money acquired through the program’s user fees.
“The new Parkmobile system is just another innovative step the city of Mount Clemens has taken to assist our visitors with convenient, hassle-free parking,” said Dempsey. “It’s more user-friendly.”
And, she said, the timing of the launch of the citywide program is perfect.
“It gets extremely busy (in downtown Mount Clemens) in the month of December,” Dempsey said. “This way, you don’t have to worry about carrying around change or getting a ticket.”
The pay-by-phone option is only applicable during the daytime weekday hours; parking in the city is free after 6 p.m. and on weekends.
Mount Clemens marks the seventh city to employ this program, following Dearborn, South Haven, Ferndale, Birmingham, Petoskey and Grand Rapids.
For more information about Parkmobile, go to www.parkmobile.com, facebook.com/ParkmobileUSA or on Twitter @Parkmobile.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi