FRASER — Just before the end of the school year, students at Emerson Elementary in Fraser Public Schools completed a total of 1 million math problems using the web-based math program known as IXL math during the 2012-13 school year.
The school made it to the 1 million mark, averaging about 2,700 math problems per student for the year. With each FPS student receiving an iPad this year, the students were able use their iPads anytime at home or school.
“Our students now have 24-hour access to practice math skills ranging from pre-kindergarten to eighth-grade algebra and geometry. IXL became a part of their daily math workshop, but students also earned extra hours at home,” Emerson Principal Sam Argiri said in a prepared statement. “This is a learning opportunity our students didn’t have in the past, truly extending their math practice beyond the walls of the school.”
Students throughout the district turned in their iPads before school broke for the summer. According to school officials, the Emerson students will still have access to their IXL accounts from a home computer or personal device.
The top math students were fifth-grader Tom McNelis, with 162 skills proficient; first-grader Austin Kruzel, with 148 skills proficient; second-grader Hannah Ritchey, with 147 skills proficient; kindergarten student Mason Woodring, with 138 skills proficient; sixth-grader Aron Geml, with 137 skills proficient; fourth-grader Jacob Keuning, with 130 skills proficient; sixth-grader Amber Augusti, kindergartner student Brody Gray and fifth-grader Rachel McMenamin, with 128 skills proficient each; kindergarten student Noah Cracchiolo, with 125 skills proficient; second-grader Alex Keuning, with 124 skills proficient; and first-grader Garrett Sullivan, with 123 skills proficient.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township