Oakland Mall security guard manager caught on tape stealing
Published April 25, 2013
A Troy man who worked as a security guard manager at Oakland Mall faces four felony counts and 10 years in prison after he was caught on tape allegedly stealing money from a cash register in a store at the mall.
Police were called to Oakland Mall April 22 on a report of a breaking and entering at Manic Shoes, where $300 was reportedly stolen from a locked cash register.
Troy police and an Oakland Mall security officer reviewed the tape on the in-store video camera, which showed someone going to and opening the cash register. The security officer reportedly recognized the suspect as the manager of Oakland Mall security, Jeffrey Douglas Maul, 36, police said.
Troy police interviewed Maul, who reportedly confessed to the theft at Manic Shoes as well as four other thefts at Oakland Mall and Oakland Plaza that have occurred since Jan. 7 — from President Tuxedo, Dairy Queen/Orange Julius, and two thefts from Bosco’s Barber Shop.
Maul was arraigned in 52-4 District Court April 24 on one count of breaking and entering, a 10-year-felony, and four counts of larceny from a building, each a four-year felony.
He appeared in court without an attorney and requested that a court-appointed attorney represent him. Bond was set at $15,000. His preliminary exam is set for April 30.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township