No injuries reported after grease fire damages apartment

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published February 13, 2018

 A grease fire caused damage to an apartment recently in Warren.

A grease fire caused damage to an apartment recently in Warren.

Photo by Deb Jacques

WARREN — A family was displaced but no injuries were reported after a grease fire in a kitchen damaged a unit at the Georgetown Manor Apartments near Hoover and 11 Mile roads Feb. 9.

 

Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said dispatchers received a call reporting the fire at 7:21 p.m. and that firefighters found smoke and flames in the apartment when they arrived on scene.

 

“It was on the second story. The fire was extinguished quickly,” McAdams said.

 

The fire reportedly originated in the kitchen where an occupant of the unit was cooking chicken on the stove and had grease splash over to the adjacent countertop. The flames were extinguished quickly, but McAdams said most of the damage to the unit was likely caused by smoke. Water and fire damage were limited to the unit where it originated.

 

No firefighters were hurt during the response, despite lingering cold conditions and heavy snowfall earlier in the day.

 

McAdams said the best way to deal with a grease fire is to eliminate its source of air and heat.

 

“You don’t put water on it. There’s a myth out there to cover it with flour,” McAdams said. “You don’t want to do that. The only thing you want to do is eliminate the oxygen supply. Turn off the stove and cover it with a lid.”

 

The fire was ruled accidental following an investigation by the Warren Fire Department’s fire inspector.